Home       About Me       Review Index

Saturday, January 7, 2017

2017 Bookish Resolutions



Hello Friends,

I know I am a little late with the bookish resolutions. Buuuuuuut- I like to reflect on my past year and set realistic goals for myself and for the blog.  I did this in 2016 and while I wasn't completely successful with my 2016 goals (which I will briefly go over in a second), I still really liked my goals, so I think I will be carrying some of them forward into 2017.


So, 2016. If you are curious about my 2016 bookish resolutions, check it out here.

In brief, I wanted to read 90 books, I finished 98 (whoop whoop), I wanted to read more physical books and be more mindful in my reading- I kind of failed at that. Again, I found that I was pretty dependent on audiobooks- I think 60% of what I read this year was through audiobook. Not that this is bad, I still experienced a lot of really great books. I wanted to read a specific set of 12 books-  I got seven done- which I am okay with.  I wanted to read one YA Debut a month, I kind of failed at this, I think in the end I only got like 4 done- I actually didn't read all that much YA in 2016. My last goal was to clean up my Goodreads shelves, which I did, and I am happy about that.


So for 2017

2017 Reading Challenge 

This year I have really challenged myself and set the goal of 100 books. I was able to complete 98 in 2016, and I am fairly confident I can get to 100. I am actually really excited about this challenge. I will try and not get discouraged if I am behind a bit. Wish me luck.







Read More Physical Books 

As I mentioned earlier, I have been dependent on audiobooks that last couple of years. While I don't think I will ever stop listening to audiobooks (I listen at work, it's great), I have been getting into the habit of also listening when I get home- while really doing nothing. I would like to stop doing that. I would like to sit down more and spend some intentional time reading a book. Whenever I do that, I find it very calming and peaceful and I feel great. I am not giving myself a specific number, but at the end of the year I would like to say I read more books than I listened to.


Listen to the Audiobooks I Already Own

So, I have been an Audible.com member since 2011, and I have accumulated a number of books-  there are these daily deals and I tend to take advantage of those, and I buy a lot. I currently have about seventeen audiobooks I haven't listened to or read. I plan to take that number down to five. That's one a month. That's totally doable.


Read One 2017 Release a Month

Last Year I wanted to read one YA Debut, I didn't do to well on that one. This coming year, I would like to read a new release a month- this doesn't mean said book had to have been released that particular month. But it has to have been published in 2017. I know this seems like an easy and obvious goal, but not so much for me. I tend to lose sight of books and I am not really in the know of what's coming out. This will help me out I think.

Read the Following Books This Year
  
Much like last year, I want to read some of the books I have been thinking of reading for years. I am not going to force myself to read one a month, but I have a list of seven books that I would like to get read at some point throughout the year.

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte 
The Thief by Megan Whalen Turner 
Percy Jackson and the Olympians books 3-5 by Rick Riordan 
Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov
A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle 

Can you believe I haven't read some of these books? I can't. I am pretty excited to get to them. 


Those are my bookish resolutions for the year. I hope you enjoyed seeing what they are. I am going to try and make a point of updating you on them in my monthly wrap ups, I think this will help keep me on track. Do you have any reading/bookish goals for the year. Tell me about them, I am always curious to see what people are striving to achieve in their reading life. 

~Happy Reading Everyone! 

 

4 comments:

  1. I feel like I've been dependent on audiobooks this past year as well, so I want to change that. Lord knows, I have enough physical books! Lol. I made a list of all the un-listened audiobooks that I have and I was pretty surprised that I have Night Circus on there! I only have about 7 so that's good.

    Reading one 2017 release per month is a good goal, too. For me, I think I'm going to see what's in the basement and read one book per month from there.

    Good luck with these goals, Sara! I'm sure you can do it. :)

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reading one 2017 release each month is a good goal. I participate in the DAC every year just so that I can get introduced to new authors too.

    100% yes to reading The Thief and A Wrinkle in Time! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reading a new release per month is a good goal! In 2016 I focussed on backlisted titles and ended up hardly reading any new releases! I didn't mind to be honest, but I'd love to get more of a balance going here :) Good luck with your goals and happy 2017! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are good goals. And ones that I would like to commit to as well... You know, I'm trying to think of any 2016 releases that I read in 2016 and the only one I can think of was The Raven King. The rest were backlist titles! So I would like to try to keep up with some of the more new reads coming out because sometimes I feel quite out of the loop, you know.. And yes, I am utterly dependent on audiobooks to accomplish my reading goals as well - I listen to them while doing work around the house and while exercising. But nothing can replace the joy of sitting down at the end of a long day with a physical book to read.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! So please leave them and I will make every attempt to return the favor!

"So, please, oh please, we beg, we pray, go throw your TV set away, and in its place you can install, a lovely bookcase on the wall."
— Roald Dahl