Home       About Me       Review Index

Sunday, October 27, 2013

My Thoughts: Six Months Later by Natalie D. Richards


Chloe didn't think about it much when she nodded off in study hall on that sleepy summer day. But when she wakes up, snow is on the ground and she can't remember the last six months of her life. Before, she'd been a mediocre student. Now, she's on track for valedictorian and being recruited by Ivy League schools. Before, she never had a chance with super jock Blake. Now he's her boyfriend. Before, she and Maggie were inseparable. Now her best friend won't speak to her.

What happened to her? 
And why can't she remember?

** EARC received from Netgalley




You know what's great? Reading a book that you think is going to be a "meh" kind of book, finishing it and realizing that it was actually pretty great. That's what happened when I read Natalie D. Richards Six Months Later. For some reason going into this book I was expecting some clichéd book with an incredibly predictable outcome. But I found none of this while reading Six Months Later. Generally I am not a fan of mystery/thriller type novels. I tend to get a little stressed out and become way to involved with the plot that my own life takes the back seat while I am reading. But I had seen enough good things about this one to give it a try.

The story begins with Chloe being at school with her and her bestie Maggie talking about SATs and study groups and what not, it's just a regular day. But then Chloe goes to class and falls asleep. When she wakes up she is no longer in class and it is no longer spring. Chloe quickly learns that six months have passed and she has no recollection of what went on during those months or why she can't remember.

What initially intrigued me about Six Months Later was the reason behind the memory loss. I automatically assumed that it was something supernatural-like. But as I read the novel,  I soon realized that this wasn't necessarily the case. This made for a very intense and interesting read. At one point I was sure aliens were involved and then I was sure that this chick was just losing it. Whenever I thought that I had things figured out something would happen and I would be just as clueless again.

The characters in this book were good. I loved Maggie, Chloe's best friend. She was one kick ass character. During the time of Chloe's lost time, her and Maggie have some kind of fall out and are no longer speaking. But Chloe needs her friend and I appreciated how Maggie was able to be assertive with her former friend, but not mean or rude. I may not be making sense but that's what I liked. Maggie was not a push over. Adam was a also pretty cool. I liked the mysterious relationship he had with Chloe.

Overall, the characters in Six Months Later aren't hugely memorable and I can't say that I connected that much with any one of them, but the story as a whole made up for that. If you are looking for a fast paced, mysterious thriller this book is for you. And it's a stand alone so you don't have to worry about any sequels.

~Happy Reading Everyone!
















2 comments:

  1. :) I was definitely convinced that it was going to be a supernatural reason, too, going into the book! I loved that it wasn't.

    And aren't standalones the best sometimes? No sequel stress, just enjoyment over the one book. :) Great review!!

    Rachel @ Paper Cuts

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen such mixed reviews on this one that I just can't decide!! I think maybe people have too high of expectations for this And that's why they ended up not liking it. In any case it really sounds like a book I would like and your review definitely convinced me that I should read it. I totally thought it was aliens too! Guess its not!?!!?

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! So please leave them and I will make every attempt to return the favor!

"So, please, oh please, we beg, we pray, go throw your TV set away, and in its place you can install, a lovely bookcase on the wall."
— Roald Dahl