Home       About Me       Review Index

Sunday, December 5, 2010

My Thoughts: Two Way Street By Lauren Barnholdt

I have never laughed as much in a book and I did in Two-Way Street by Lauren Barnholdt. It was one of the funniest books I have ever read.

There are two sides to every breakup.
This is Jordan and Courtney, totally in love. Sure, they were an unlikely high school couple. But they clicked; it worked. They're even going to the same college, and driving cross-country together for orientation.
Then Jordan dumps Courtney -- for a girl he met on the Internet.
It's too late to change plans, so the road trip is on. Courtney's heartbroken, but figures she can tough it out for a few days. La la la -- this is Courtney pretending not to care.
But in a strange twist, Jordan cares. A lot.
Turns out, he's got a secret or two that he's not telling Courtney. And it has everything to do with why they broke up, why they can't get back together, and how, in spite of it all, this couple is destined for each other


When I first read the synopsis for this book it was something I wanted to read right away. Who wouldn't? It looked to be hilarious. I was imagining the spats that would take place, and was giggling even before I read the book.

Barnholdt knows what goes on in the minds of teenage girls and their friends (and how totally unreasonable they can be). There is a scene in the book where Courtney talks about sending Jordan an e-mail and how it took her (and her friend) two hours to compose, this had me roaring because it's so true, when us girls are trying to be cool and aloof when writing something to a boy it takes us forever to find the right words; usually the boys don't even notice the difference. The story was full of ridiculous antics that had me laughing out loud.

The characters were so much fun as well. Jordan and Courtney were great but their best friends BJ and Jocelyn were two of the funniest characters I have ever read about. They are a dysfunctional couple that should not have been together. I looked forward to every interaction with one of these characters. They were a real comic relief. I almost wish they had a book of their own. They were that entertaining.

However, as much as I loved this book I find that I have a little bit of a problem with it being geared for a 13-17 year old crowd (this is what it says on Chapters website). This book is full of sexual content that I think would not be suitable for someone younger then 16. There is also a fair bit of swearing that would make it more inappropriate for younger readers.

But in all, I really enjoyed reading this book I thought it was clever and funny and the characters worked for me. It was a good read, and I looking forward to reading more from Barnholdt, and I will be rereading this one for sure.

Happy Reading Everyone.

13 comments:

  1. *sigh* I didn't like this one actually, I read it a long time ago, but I remember the word 'hookup' was like five times in every page or something.

    Granted, I'm not the targeted audience. I'm not a teen, so maybe that's why I didn't enjoy it so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the reason I liked it so much was because the word hookup was overused a lot. It made me giggle (who hooks up these days). Oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this book sounds awesome! I love funny books :D (: Great review (:

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review! I haven't read this book yet, but it sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This book sounds pretty good, though I don't often read comtemparies.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This one will be perfect for summer reads! I would love to read it. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, this sounds fun! I'd love to read this. Great review by the way, you make it sound interesting and worth reading.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds like a fun, interesting read! Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is probably one of my favorite books . . . I can't remember if I thought it was inappropriate for younger readers bur I do think it's a great post-graduation read :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice review!! :) I've read this one and it was nice. I enjoyed in it. I'm glad you like it as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really enjoyed this book! It's funny and about a road trip? I'm there! And you're right, Lauren Barnholdt is spot on when it comes to getting into teenage minds!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I haven't read a lot of laugh out loud contemporary reads except for Know Not Why. I definitely enjoy road trip stories especially when it involves funny friends.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This books sounds like a hoot. It reminds me of the ridiculous things we did when I was a teen many, many years ago.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! So please leave them and I will make every attempt to return the favor!

"So, please, oh please, we beg, we pray, go throw your TV set away, and in its place you can install, a lovely bookcase on the wall."
— Roald Dahl